|“||You know, being me♥, it's pretty sweet. But only until I wash off my makeup★.||”|
True Beauty (여신강림; Yeosingangrim, translated as Advent of a Goddess) is a manhwa webtoon published on the LINE Webtoon comic service globally. The series follows protagonist Jugyeong Lim, who, after being bullied for her appearance, becomes a very skilled makeup user. When Jugyeong enters high school, she manages to convince others that her beautiful, made-up face is her natural appearance. Jugyeong befriends Suho Lee while in school: a wealthy, cold boy whom she runs into, bare-faced, at a comic book shop. She later meets Seojun Han, an aggressive student with a mysteriously good singing voice. The plot follows Jugyeong as she navigates her daily life and goal of becoming a cosmetologist.
The webtoon is authored by illustrator and former fitting model Yaongyi and began publication on April 2, 2018 in South Korea. Its English localization began in August of 2018, with certain regions receiving earlier releases under the name The Secret of Angel. True Beauty is currently one of LINE Webtoon's most popular series and was green-lit for a drama adaptation in the summer of 2019, with a release planned for Q4 2020.
After binge-watching beauty videos online, a shy, comic book fan masters the art of make-up, then sees her social standing skyrocket as she becomes her school’s prettiest pretty girl literally overnight. But will her elite status be short lived? How long can she keep her “real self” a secret? And what about that cute boy she likes? Could you imagine if he found out the truth?
This list is truncated down to only the more plot-relevant characters. For a complete list, visit Category:Characters.
- Jugyeong Lim: The protagonist of the series. A skilled makeup artist and, later, an Instagram influencer, with hopes of becoming a cosmetologist.
- Suho Lee: A son of a popular Korean actor and brother of a popular makeup artist who befriends Jugyeong after helping her study. Known for his intelligence, good looks, and cold personality.
- Seojun Han: A former idol trainee, who befriends Jugyeong through his younger sister. Currently works as a model to support his family.
- Heegyeong Lim: Jugyeong's older sister and employee at ST Entertainment.
- Sua Kang: Jugyeong's best friend and an avid K-Pop fan.
- Gowoon Han: Close friend of Jugyeong and younger sister of Seojun, who's a talented singer.
- Sujin Kang: A known pretty girl in Jugyeong's high school who "befriends" Jugyeong.
- Seyeon Yoon: A former K-Pop idol and close friend of Seojun and Suho.
- Juyoung Lim: The younger brother of Jugyeong and Heegyeong.
- Jooheon Lee: A popular actor in Korea and Japan; Suho's father.
- Chaerin Ahn: A close friend of Jugyeong and Sua.
- Aiden Kim: A popular trainee at ST Entertainment.
- Woohyun Ji: Jugyeong's first boyfriend.
- Heeyeon Shin: An idol under ST Entertainment who knew Seojun as a trainee.
While the series' Korean release was on hiatus during the summer of 2019, a drama adaptation was confirmed. No further information about the drama was revealed upon the announcement other than its green-lit status that July. The announcement did, however, spawn a number of fan-made cast lists, though none have been confirmed. The drama is planned for release at the end of 2020, and the network is speculated to be tvN, though the latter is unconfirmed.
Casting for the series began in the spring of 2020. The series' producer, Bon Factory, was also revealed, along with script writer Lee Sieun. Lee is known for the drama Ugly Miss Youngae (2007–2019). Idol actor Cha Eunwoo of Astro took the role of Suho Lee. Actress Moon Gayoung took the role of Jugyeong Lim. Rookie actor Hwang Inyeop took the role of Seojun Han.
- After only three weeks after its publication or translation, True Beauty managed to hit first on Webtoon's top comic list in multiple different countires.
- Yaongyi's art for True Beauty has received praise for its quality.
- When creating looks for characters, Yaongyi will use her knowledge of fashion to make them realistic and trendy. This includes referencing celebrities—sometimes even herself!—for outfit ideas. (To find specific examples, visit a character or episode page.)
- Yaongyi has cited her past as a fitting model as an influence on True Beauty.
- The series placed at number four during the 2019 Tsugi ni Kuru Manga Awards, hosted by the Japanese website Niconico, and was the only non-Japanese property to rank in the top twenty.
|Korean||네이버 웹툰 여신강림||April 2, 2018|
|Thai||ความลับของนางฟ้า||May 14, 2018|
|Chinese||女神降臨||June 29, 2018|
|English||True Beauty||August 14, 2018|